UDF-Tools page - CD-RW Packet writing.

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 24 13:12:08 PDT 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003 16:08:12 +0000 (UTC)
semzx at newmail.ru ("Alexander E. Patrakov") wrote:

>http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-dev/2003/05/0007.htm
>
> The HTML variant of the book is generated from DocBook XML. You may have
> better success if you download the current XML source of the book via CVS and
> send a patch to the source.

Alex, I don't write XML (and like Sanskrit, I don't want to learn it) Larry agreed to XML-ise this for me long ago.  I provide the words (derived from my hint) and a kind editor creates the xml.

> And packet writing (almost) works for me at home. The only bad thing is buggy
> firmware of my DVD-ROM + CD-RW drive (Philips CDD5301).
>
> cdrwtool -d /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 -q does not work for me and even hits a kernel
> BUG() in 2.4.20.

I have not tried any of this with many drives, so you may well be right. My drive is a HP 9310i, and the disks written on it read on all my CD's plus my ASUS DVD-ROM drive.

> I found an advice to do the setup step by step. It helped. It is worth > including in the hint.
>
> cdrwtool -d /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 -b fast
> -> no errors

Cool, but this is not in the man page for cdrwtool (AFAICS), so I dunno if its supported ( a fairly loose concept with cdrw and udf tools !)

> cdrwtool -d /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 -i
> -> it said that the track size should be 295264 (590528KB), it was a 700MB CD
>
> cdrwtool -d /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 -m 295264
> ~> Returned immediately, but the drive continued writing something. Firmware
> bug! Also my drive does not work in DAO mode (hangs IDE bus forever, does not
> react to RESET).
>
> <I waited until the writing process completed>
>
> pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd /dev/cdroms/cdrom1
> mkudffs /dev/pktcdvd
> -> I can work with my new CD as with a big floppy, but there are some
> problems:
>
> 1) My friends with Windows and the newest InCD cannot write to my disk (maybe
> the filesystem version is too new for InCD). How should I work around that?
> What versions of UDF are supported under Windows by what products?
> 2) UIDs and GIDs are stored on the CD. That's bad since my UID is different in
> the classroom and at home. How do I disable storing the permissions?
>
> CC:ed the blfs-support list since our further discussion is more appropriate
> there and not here.

People tell me that you can put any filesystem you like on a cdrw with packetwriting, not just UDF.  I know ext2 works, and is faster than UDF. Problem comes when you want to read/write on Windows, or anything non-Linux.  My only experience of Windows was long ago, and limited to HP's and Adaptec's DriveLetterAccess products, both of which used a UDF filesystem compatible with the UDF-tools version.
Chez Downing is a Microsoft-free-zone, and will stay that way, it's also SCO-free, but that's easy.

Richard.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org