UDF-Tools page - CD-RW Packet writing.

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Sat May 24 09:05:35 PDT 2003

On Saturday 24 May 2003 21:08, Richard A Downing FBCS wrote:
> I posted this some time ago, but it hasn't made it into BLFS.  Is that an
> oversight or did I screw up?  A bit of feedback would be nice.
>

> http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-dev/2003/05/0007.htm

The HTML variant of the book is generated from DocBook XML. You may have
better success if you download the current XML source of the book via CVS and
send a patch to the source.

And packet writing (almost) works for me at home. The only bad thing is buggy
firmware of my DVD-ROM + CD-RW drive (Philips CDD5301).

cdrwtool -d /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 -q does not work for me and even hits a kernel
BUG() in 2.4.20.

I found an advice to do the setup step by step. It helped. It is worth
including in the hint.

cdrwtool -d /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 -b fast
-> no errors

cdrwtool -d /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 -i
-> it said that the track size should be 295264 (590528KB), it was a 700MB CD

cdrwtool -d /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 -m 295264
~> Returned immediately, but the drive continued writing something. Firmware
bug! Also my drive does not work in DAO mode (hangs IDE bus forever, does not
react to RESET).

<I waited until the writing process completed>

pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd /dev/cdroms/cdrom1
mkudffs /dev/pktcdvd
-> I can work with my new CD as with a big floppy, but there are some
problems:

1) My friends with Windows and the newest InCD cannot write to my disk (maybe
the filesystem version is too new for InCD). How should I work around that?
What versions of UDF are supported under Windows by what products?
2) UIDs and GIDs are stored on the CD. That's bad since my UID is different in
the classroom and at home. How do I disable storing the permissions?

CC:ed the blfs-support list since our further discussion is more appropriate
there and not here.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org