djb utilities

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Mon May 12 16:15:29 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 05:53, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 04:49, Stefan Krah wrote:
>
> > I was just trying to make a point: It had been suggested _not_ to use
> > daemontools or even kick it out of BLFS because "we already have sysvinit".
> > Daemontools has the same right to exist as sysvinit. There are in fact
> > people who run svscan as process 1.
> >
> > Now, if I really wanted to kick out sysvinit I'd suggest it on lfs-dev.
>
> My point is that multiple ways of starting a daemon adds complexity to
> an operating system - not simplifying it.
>
> Since the author of daemontools himself claims that his product should
> be used to simplify, then a solution that adds complexity is not what he
> wants either. Using both sysVinit and daemontools adds complexity. It is
> far better to have one method by which daemons are started and stopped
> on the system.
>
> Knowing that /etc/init.d/qmail stop
>
> will stop the daemon because daemons are started and stopped in
> /etc/init.d is a hell of a lot easier than having to look at whether a
> daemon is implemented using init.d or daemontools.
>
> We should use one or the other.
>
> I also really don't like the remarks of the author - I don't find the
> author of SysV init or BSD init scripts making half truth and complete
> untruth remarks about each other or daemontools - yet the daemontools
> author feels a need to do that. And he feels a need to make slanderous
> accusations about the unix industry - such as they plan to make their
> systems different for their own greedy purposes.
>
> That kind of untrue spin combined with the half truths - it really makes
> me not trust the integrity of his products. Really.

To put it as mildly as possible, DJB has some "problems", and basically,
more technical skill than he has sense.  If you want a classic example
of the kind of obsessiveness this leads to, look for the djbfft
package.  Yes, it's a very fast library for FFT computations, but the
way it builds and installs is something you have to see to believe.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org