GCC-2.95 conflict with LFS

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 12 09:52:04 PDT 2003

Just saw this thread over on lfs-dev.  There are three related issues that
will need thinking about.

I always assume that LFS will be self-contained, so gcc2 will most likely be
in both books. I'd suggest matching their directory and verify that we are
not breaking their build with ours.  GCC3 will be updated soon, its done and
tested but needed to get some LFS-cvs machines running myself.  The last
issue may be the hardest, the kernel dri modules in X11 have to be compiled
with the same compiler used for the kernel. That can be done with more
verbage, but could be considered misleading currently. Could this break
something else?

These separations between LFS and BLFS will occur in cvs.  That was one of
the reasons I wanted a stable release available.  I don't expect BLFS to
make radical changes until LFS is stablized, so given the call to test, BLFS
should be able to sync up by this weekend.

Larry

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org