perl modules

Larry larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 8 18:25:28 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 03:42:28AM -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> I'm thinking the book needs to have perl modules put into their own
> section instead of all on one page.
>
> The reason is that many perl modules (for example the PDL module) will
> benefit from other perl modules being built first, or other libraries
> being built first.
>
> Some - like libwww (not mentioned but probably should be) - have very
> important functionality that need other modules. libwww won't have ssl
> support w/o an additional module.
>
> By having a section for perl modules, dependency and "will utilize"
> sections would be easy to add specific for each module. And special
> notes, too - such as "make test" failing on PDL is you don't have glx
> load in your XFree86 (or are not running X11 when building it).
>
> Also - while I personally do not like CPAN - it should be mentioned as a
> way to install perl modules as well.
>
> --
> Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com>

Currently, this page has a very specific purpose to satisify
dependencies for other packages, specifically gimp.

My vote is to leave it as it is.  The details of your examples are not
something I would want to research or maintain, and I would hope that it
has already been done.  In that regard, a link may be appropriate.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org