Dependency-based init scripts (was Re: djb utilities)

richard at nezumi.plus.com richard at nezumi.plus.com
Wed May 7 02:12:46 PDT 2003

On 2003-05-06 19:39:22 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> Didn't one of the LFS developers write a dependency based system?
> I think I remember seeing something about it ...

There is simplinit, in util-linux.
There is MSB's fixed version of simpl-init:
http://www.winterdrache.de/linux/newboot/

There is my version, which needs more work:
http://www.nezumi.plus.com/depinit/
At present, it is good at handling its own tasks, but poor at taking
down anything that users started up. My plan to fix this is to have
and authentication script that determines who is sitting at the
console, but does not start any processes, and to use the keybaord
signal to start shells on new consoles. This will allow authentication
before most of the init scripts have started, but will ensure that
user's programs are killed before any of the shutdown scripts have
started.

Richard
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org