djb utilities

Erika Pacholleck pchllck at nexgo.de
Mon May 5 09:53:04 PDT 2003

[05.05.2003] Michael A. Peters <-- :
> On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 21:42, Erika Pacholleck wrote:
> > [02.05.2003] richard at nezumi.plus.com <-- :
> > > DJB states conditions for using his software here:
> > > http://cr.yp.to/distributors.html
> > > And there is a separate page for qmail here:
> > > http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html
> > > DJB explains why we should use his choice of directories here:
> > > http://cr.yp.to/compatibility.html
> >
> > This could maybe go into the introductional part
> >    Mention the problem with the own view of the author
> > 1. Add links like above for reading first the whole story
>
> But the problem is - those links aren't really honest.

Well, I think he is "honest" in the way he tries to force his way.

> It mentions numerous ways of stopping apache, for example.
> All daemontools does is add yet another wrapper method for
> starting/stopping the apache daemon. But there is already an apache
> aproved method that works on any operating system regardless of what
> system you use - apachectl

So we have another example. If the user is provided with the information
about the official apache stopping, and then he reads that stuff above -
do you really believe a thinking user can be convinced, he needs a wrapper
for wrapping the wrapper ... ??

> He's egotistical (so am I - that's not so bad ;)

Agree to you (there too ;)

> and he is dishonest in his propaganda for his product - and that I
> don't like.

That's simple sales tactics, whether you like it or not. But I think it
is not BLFSs task to judge about a product in a way of throw in/out.
To my mind it should rather point onto such things and then treat the
user as thinking adult who is capable of drawing his own conclusions.
And if people like us say, not needed/wanted so skip, that's ok.
But others may say, why not try it, and those should have a chance to
find themselves respected in BLFS too.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org