djb utilities

Gregory Davis gregdavis at ieee.org
Mon May 5 15:12:58 PDT 2003

Stefan Krah wrote:

> * "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
>> To clarify my view on this -
>> There is already standard facilities for stopping/starting daemons in
>> LFS/BLFS via the sysV init mechanism.
>
> Daemontools include a fabulous logging mechanism as well as other
> *really* useful programs.
>
>> By adding DJB's daemontools it adds complexity to the system because
>> there are now more than one way that daemons are controlled. Some with
>> SysV init and some with daemontools (and potentially some with xinetd -
>> though I haven't found a need to install xinetd and would prefer not to
>> for the same reason of simplicity).
>
> So lets kick out sysvinit.

Ouch, I vote against that.  That's quite a digression from LFS, and now
you're talking about making AnotherLFS instead of BeyondLFS.  SysV is de
facto how it has been done.  I don't question whether DJB has produced
quality software as far as MDA is concerned, but to change the fundamental
organization of a system for just one daemon is just ridiculous.  DJB
should play nice and allow his software to be adaptable to whatever setup
we run.  Isn't what they teach in programming courses?  Robustness and
portability?

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org