djb utilities

Stefan Krah sfk1 at bigfoot.com
Mon May 5 12:58:54 PDT 2003

* "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> To clarify my view on this -
> There is already standard facilities for stopping/starting daemons in
> LFS/BLFS via the sysV init mechanism.

Daemontools include a fabulous logging mechanism as well as other
*really* useful programs.

> By adding DJB's daemontools it adds complexity to the system because
> there are now more than one way that daemons are controlled. Some with
> SysV init and some with daemontools (and potentially some with xinetd -
> though I haven't found a need to install xinetd and would prefer not to
> for the same reason of simplicity).

So lets kick out sysvinit.

> qmail can be started by the facilities that LFS/BLFS already have (SysV
> init) and I just don't think its a good idea to have a separate facility
> for doing what already can be done with the standard facility that
> virtually all LFS/BLFS'ers already have (SysV init). For those who chose
> a BSD style init script instead, qmail can be started that way as well.

IMO, which is shared by the overwhelming majority on the qmail mailing
list, a novice should install qmail according to:

http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html

LWQ uses daemontools. And why do you keep mentioning qmail. I run most
of my daemons under daemontools.

Stefan Krah
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org