djb utilities

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 4 09:30:33 PDT 2003

On Sun, 04 May 2003 14:46:14 +0000, Matt Rogers wrote:

> To answer Larry's question.  If we installed all the DJB packages per the
> author's directions, it will _not_ harm any of the current packages.
> Also, if we remove the djb packages, then that means removing qmail.  IMHO,
> removing qmail is A Bad Idea (tm). It's one of the fastest and most secure
> MDAs I've seen.  However, I think we're doing them a slight disservice by
> making the packages FHS compliant.  I don't have a good argument for this
> other than we should install them where the author wants them cause that's
> how they're meant to work. (yes, i know, a lame argument)
>

> --
> Matt
> http://matt.rogers.name
> http://ktagit.sf.net
> --

Qmail is not going anywhere, which means djb packages stay.  That should
not be an issue.

FHS is always an issue.  My biggest concern here is that we all interpret
it differently enough to cause disagreements amongst ourselves.  With this
issue, I think we all agree that DJB utilities do not comply with FHS.

In my opinion, FHS and LSB compliance are package install issues that have
to be dealt with at the package level.  They (the programmers) need to
support thestandards. I think some packages rely too much on the Distro to
clean up their mess.

The books responsibility is to install consistently and get all the
packages to work together. (which is my definition of a Distro, but there
seems to be /.'s that disagree).

"Your rules" is the more difficult goal.  For those that don't want to
think, "your rules" become whatever we (the editors) tell you they are, but
I prefer to write for those that want to think. Thinking requires
questioning the rules (a better description is "verifying the rules") for
yourself.  The example here is if you installed DBJ utilities the way the
author intended and think it is the stupidest thing you have ever seen, I
have succeeded from the books perspective, if you think it's the "coolest
thing since...", well, the book has still succeeded, although the user
will clearly find him(her)self in a minority position.

I think it's great that the list readers have very strong opinions as that
clearly puts all of you in the "thinker's" category.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org