djb utilities

Tushar Teredesai tushart at abbnm.com
Fri May 2 08:09:06 PDT 2003

Larry Lawrence wrote:

>I keep having thoughts about letting DJB utilities build "the way the author
>intended".  Of course that means throw FHS to the wind, and send LBS a
>packing (sorry, this does not make me cry, adopting 'rpm' was a big
>mistake).  BTW, some would say I already throw FHS to the wind, but that's a
>different flame war.
>
>There are a few underlying themes that could be presented through the book.
>First, standards are good, but someone will always challege the standard.
>Second, sometimes the challenger is right.  Third, the user will ultimately
>choose the best solution which then must be incorporated into the standard.
>
>So the question is this.  Are we doing DJB Utilities a disservice by
>relocating all the files just like every other distrobution AND would
>installing these utilities as the author intended harm any of our current
>packages?

My thoughts: (Note: in the following you indicates the developer and
me/I indicates the user.)

    If you want to disregard the standard, don't force the new
    non-standard on me (even if you think you are right). Give me an
    option to install it the way I want to. Make your choice the default
    one, but provide me with the freedom to change it. If it does not
    conform to my standard, I will either hack it to conform to my
    standard or I won't use it.

--
Tushar Teredesai
  E-mail:    tushartATabbnmDOTcom