djb utilities

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 2 07:25:25 PDT 2003

I'll show a little of my generationism by stating that "rules are meant to
be flexible", so fair warning, I'm going way out on a limb here.

I keep having thoughts about letting DJB utilities build "the way the author
intended".  Of course that means throw FHS to the wind, and send LBS a
packing (sorry, this does not make me cry, adopting 'rpm' was a big
mistake).  BTW, some would say I already throw FHS to the wind, but that's a
different flame war.

There are a few underlying themes that could be presented through the book.
First, standards are good, but someone will always challege the standard.
Second, sometimes the challenger is right.  Third, the user will ultimately
choose the best solution which then must be incorporated into the standard.

So the question is this.  Are we doing DJB Utilities a disservice by
relocating all the files just like every other distrobution AND would
installing these utilities as the author intended harm any of our current
packages?

Larry

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org