Notes on the DocBook installation in BLFS book

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 24 13:54:10 PDT 2003

"Gerard Beekmans" <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:1056431080.431.47.camel at eriond.linuxfromscratch.org...
> Hi guys,
>
> I just installed the various docbook, dsssl, openjade, OpenSP and all
> that other stuff on the LFS server. I've had to make a few modifications
> in order to render the LFS and BLFS books. Here's a list of changes I've
> made.
>
> First of all, I got an error that /usr/share/docbook/docbookx.dtd
> couldn't be found. So I added the symlink /usr/share/docbook pointing to
> /usr/share/xml/docbook. I'm not entirely sure where the error came from,
> so there just might be a better way and fix it at the root. Error in a
> catalog file maybe?
It is coming for here-
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
                        "/usr/share/docbook/docbookx.dtd" [

I would like to see us return the second line to the url, the catalogs will
remap the url to the proper file by default.  There are current additions to
the catalog files that should prevent the error you got located in the
configuring OpenJade section of openjade.

> Next, "CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.78/catalog"
> is missing. Without it, openjade throws a fit that the system identifier
> can't be generated and things go downhill from there. I added this to
> the /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook.cat file after I finished installing openjade
> (can, and probably should be taken care of during the dsssl installation
> but I can't remember off hand which files in /etc/sgml exist at that
> point. Again it should probably be cleaned up and put in a more
> appropriate place, but for now it just works):
>
> install-catalog --add \
> /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook.cat</param>
> /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.78/catalog

I'm not sure what happened here, the relevant installation is the last two
commands in the installation of docbook-dsssl. Yours combines the two
entries into one and as noted, also works.

> At this point I'm able to convert LFS and BLFS books into HTML, albeit
> it with two kinds of warnings:
>
> number of ID references in start-tag must not exceed GRPCNT (32)
> and
> length of interpreted parameter literal must not exceed LITLEN (240)
>
> The easiest way out out is editing the
> /usr/share/sgml/OpenSP-1.5/unicode.syn file as follows:
>

> Add a GRPCNT variable so it doesn't default to 32. I opted for 64. I
> just made it up, it seemed good enough (GRPCNT 64 appears in other files
> in the OpenSP-1.5 directory to it seems good enough):
>
> echo "GRPCNT 64" >> /usr/share/sgml/OpenSP-1.5/unicode.syn
>
> And update LITLEN's value of '240' to something higher. I changed it to
> 500. I just made up the number, it seemed high enough:
>
> sed -i '/LITLEN/s/240/500/ \
> /usr/share/sgml/OpenSP-1.5/unicode.syn

I was hoping OpenSP would get these fixed since they introduced them with
the last version.  I will put the sed's in to fix this annoying problem.

> Now the disclaimer: I hope I got it all right. I'm afraid I didn't take
> notes while I was hacking around files and catalogs to get things right.
> I was not willing to setup the old docbook installation I've been using
> for LFS for so long now. It's just too nasty. I will redo this
> installation on another computer soon enough and will test out these
> changes as well to make sure I didn't skip anything. But I have no idea
> when I'll get around that. I'll incorporate that during my next LFS test
> build, which should take place soon enough.
>
> Also I just noticed I did not install the sgml-dtd packages. I do not
> know if that would have made a difference or not. Maybe somebody can
> enlighten me.

Last I tested, they are not required until you deal with gnome and that has
been changing at a fairly good clip.

> Anyways, if somebody can help test this claim that would be great.
> Install all the usual components: sgml-common, docbook-dsssl,
> docbook-xml, openjade, opensp, libxslt, libxml and whatever else I
> missed from this list. Render the LFS/BLFS book and the FAQ and see the
> errors show up. Then apply my changes and try again. The FAQ should not
> get any errors at any time, so is a good test nothing is being screwed
> up.
>

> --
> Gerard Beekmans
> http://linuxfromscratch.org
>
> /* Linux Consultant --- OSDN / DevChannel *
>  * Technical Writer --- CheapBytes        */
>
> /* If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem */

Larry

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org