Example of a careful runlevel script

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jun 20 14:10:13 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 10:18, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

> Frankly, Michael, I don't care what you think because it's pretty
> obvious you don't.

Don't let a disagreement we had on another issue turn into something.
I do think. I think quite a bit.

>   FS corruption can destroy files for good, an admin
> can restabilize the filesystem, and then it would be perfectly
> acceptible to mount /usr rw in unrlevel 3, particularly because it's a
> little hard to identify and *replace* missing/broken files on a
> _read-only_ filesystem.  Geez.

When an admin does that they will be doing it manually, not booting into
runlevel 5.

When repairing a filesystem, I always boot from a floppy or CD.
Connect to network to retrieve backup. I suspect most do the same -
rather than booting into 5 or 3 on a filesystem that they know has a
muffed up /usr/lib.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org