Example of a careful runlevel script

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Fri Jun 20 10:18:28 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 03:21, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 19:27, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> > Okay, this is the one I've been using for a year or so, which aside from
> > being a little paranoid should clear this mess up.  It checks to make
> > sure that libraries haven't gone AWOL before attempting to start things,
> > and bails back to runlevel three if everything falls through.
> >
> > (Why check the libraries?  Ask yourself that after a filesystem
> > corruption has blown away half of your /usr/lib directory.)
>
> I do have on suggestion - if filesystem corruption has occurred (and
> checkfs didn't catch it) wiping a bunch of stuff in /usr - you probably
> don't want to boot to runlevel 3.
>
> That would mount filesystem rw and if you have a filesystem problem, you
> don't want to do that. You want to mount ro (if you mount at all).

Frankly, Michael, I don't care what you think because it's pretty
obvious you don't.  FS corruption can destroy files for good, an admin
can restabilize the filesystem, and then it would be perfectly
acceptible to mount /usr rw in unrlevel 3, particularly because it's a
little hard to identify and *replace* missing/broken files on a
_read-only_ filesystem.  Geez.

*goes to see what he mistyped in his plonk filter*

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org