Example of a careful runlevel script

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jun 20 01:21:42 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 19:27, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> Okay, this is the one I've been using for a year or so, which aside from
> being a little paranoid should clear this mess up.  It checks to make
> sure that libraries haven't gone AWOL before attempting to start things,
> and bails back to runlevel three if everything falls through.
>
> (Why check the libraries?  Ask yourself that after a filesystem
> corruption has blown away half of your /usr/lib directory.)

I do have on suggestion - if filesystem corruption has occurred (and
checkfs didn't catch it) wiping a bunch of stuff in /usr - you probably
don't want to boot to runlevel 3.

That would mount filesystem rw and if you have a filesystem problem, you
don't want to do that. You want to mount ro (if you mount at all).

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org