Gtk-Perl

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jun 20 01:06:00 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 23:52, Ronald Hummelink wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 08:01, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> > Gtk2-Perl satisfied the wants of gimp - at least gimp configured and
> > compiled no errors. I'm using gimp 1.3.15 so I don't know if using
> > Gtk2-Perl would be a good substitute for the blfs Gimp - but using the
> > newer Gtk2-Perl would eliminate the issues of the abandoned Gtk-Perl
> > module.
>
> Gimp 1.3.x is the port to gtk2. Maybe this is why it is satisfied by the
> gtk2-perl ;)?
> Gimp 1.3.x is marked unstable/developer version. Maybe it shouldn't be
> normative for a package in blfs?

Yes - it's the gtk2 port, and a development version.

However, it *might* be a case where using it is justified.
Gtk-Perl has build issues that probably will not be resolved.
The patch I had to get it to build w/o manual moving of files doesn't
work on newer system (not sure why).

It is a more consistent UI to use gtk2+ when gtk2+ versions of an
application are available. I'm not a heavy user of the gimp, but I chose
the gtk2 branch for that reason - and to not have need of the depricated
Gtk-Perl is a bonus. But it is possible that there are issues some users
will have.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org