Sample rc.5, for real this time.

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Thu Jun 19 22:00:00 PDT 2003

Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> No foolin'.  (Time to eat something I think)
>
> GPL'd yadda yadda yadda...

> #! /bin/sh
>
> # Be sure and tell the console what is going on
> echo "Starting up X11 session manager..."
>
> # Let's make sure we didn't break something...
> /usr/bin/ldd /usr/bin/gdm-binary | grep "not found" 2>&1 >/dev/null
> if [ $? -a -x /usr/bin/gdm -a -r /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf ]; then
>   exec /usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon
> fi
>
> # OKay, that didn't work... Let's try XDM and hope no one notices
> /usr/bin/ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm | grep "not found" 2>&1 >/dev/null
> if [ $? -a -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm ]; then
>   exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon
> fi
>
> # If that's not here, we have a serious problem
> echo "Uh-oh... Neither GDM nor XDM appear to be functional."
> echo "Punting to runlevel 3 in 15 seconds...  Good luck fixing things!"
> sleep 15
>
> /sbin/telinit 3
> # Better than having init respawn this only to do it over again.

Umm...where's KDM?  lol j/k

I must have missed the previous convos on this.  I personally dont use
XDM/GDM, but yes, it maybe is a bit paranoid. Still, an excelent idea
for the book (IMO).  It'll at least keep end users from pressing the
power button, not to mention makes things easier for you to fix.  Also
would have saved me a lot of trouble a long time ago when I didn't know
how to pass options to my boot loader.  My mind is tired of logic
borked config file or something) It dosen't look like it'll kick to RL3,
but I'm unsure.  Even if not, this is still much better than putting
directly into inittab.

DJ

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org