gdm

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Thu Jun 19 11:34:00 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 19:16, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 15:35, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
>

> > x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/gdm  <-- BAD.
> >
> > x:5:respawn:/etc/init.d/rc.5  <-- GOOD.
>
> Whatever dude.
> None of your objections had any merit - I even tested them.
> But go ahead and live in your world, I'll live in mine.

Here's some facts for you...  You don't appear to really understand
which parts are responsible for what, which you demonstrated by
repeatedly referring to whether or not GDM could handle missing hardware
(among other things).  You weren't even able to properly break your own
system to simulate any of the suggested failure conditions, otherwise
you would have been able to see what happens when XFree86 can't find a
core pointer as opposed to how init reacts to GDM failing.  You claimed
that scripts being invoked through inittab were subject to accidental
user-interruption, and originally cited this as your reason for invoking
gdm directly from inittab, even though later you, yourself stated that
/usr/bin/gdm is _also_ a shell script.  About the only thing you've
managed to get right is your assertion that gdm doesn't need a valid
login shell.  If what you said about RedHat calling /usr/bin/gdm as the
script for runlevel 5, I am very sorry for them, but I gave up on
expecting sensible behaviour from them long, long ago.

Repeatedly I have tried to point out these errors to you, and you're
either impossibly dim, unbelievably clue-resistant, or deliberately
being argumentative to waste other people's time and bandwidth.

I will agree with you on one thing...
You live in your world... I'll live in the real one.

*plonk*

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org