gdm

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Jun 18 02:01:00 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 01:22, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

> Init has rudimentary functions for detecting loops, however, its
> "response" is just to "stop doing that".  This is not what I would
> consider to be a particularly flexible or useful behaviour, especially
> if you didn't already start sshd or some hidden agettys so an admin can
> try to fix things.  There is no downside to starting GDM through a
> script, dude, _certainly_ no ways to "accidentally" interrupt them
> unless your system is tragically misconfigured, and plenty of reasons
> _for_ invoking shell scripts through init.

starting gdm in the inittab guarantees that all other init scripts are
run first. sshd (if you run it) would be started before gdm.

You also should be able to ctrl-alt to a virtual console and login
through one of those should there be something like a missing library.

by adding it the end of the inittab (as I suggested) your inittab would
look like this (at the end):

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty1 9600
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty2 9600
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty3 9600
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty4 9600
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty5 9600
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty6 9600

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/gdm

As you can see - /sbin/agetty is started on tty[1..6]
This happens _before_ gdm is spawned.
This why you will see a "console" login _before_ gdm is spawned.
The only issue is the case where there is no mouse so gdm (after taking
over on tty7) decided you don't need a keyboard either.

This would also happen in the case of the starting gdm from an init
script.

I don't mean to be rude, but your objections to do it from the inittab
don't have merit.
If there is a messed up XFree86 config file, gdm will be graceful in how
it handles it, even offering to run a tool to configure it.

If the mouse isn't attached, there is no difference - currently you are
screwed either way. gdm will still start and switch you to tty7 and
leave you without keyboard capability.

If you remove a library, agetty is still spawned on tty[1..6] will
already have been spawned, and you can log into your system through one
of those consoles.

What blfs decides to do - I could care less.
But there is an easier way to boot into gdm than the method currently in
the blfs book. And there isn't a reason not to do it the easier way.
Other than "we've never done it that way before"

I'll just leave it at that.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org