gdm

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Jun 17 23:29:32 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 23:08, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> Looks like I will have to force a respawn issue by fscking up the
> XFree86 config file.
>
> Back in a few (I hope :p)

OK - I removed the XFree86 file.
That's the best way to fsck it up, no?

rebooted.

Was greeted by a ncurses based dialog with the following message:

cannot start the X server (your graphical
interface). It is likely that it is not set
up correctly. Would you like to view the X
server output to diagnose the problem?

I used the tab key to go to no, and pressed enter.
I was then greeted with another box that said:

Would you like me to try to run the X
configuration program? Note that you will
need the root password for this.

I again answered no.

Then I got a box saying it was disabling gdm for the session.
I said OK anticipating that it would respawn - but it didn't.
Instead, it gave me a nice console login.

-=-
As such - it seems that with current versions of gdm, there respawning
isn't an issue - it is smart enough to inform the user when there is a
configuration error and even offers to run XFree86 config for the user.
I didn't test how well that works, though - I have a working XFree86
config file.

The only issue I had with tainting the gdm environment was when I
unplugged my mouse, it decided that I didn't need a keyboard either -
which I consider to be a usability bug, as it would force an unclean
shutdown if I wasn't able to ssh in.

I highly suspect that would also be an issue with the init script
method.

I don't mean to get into a fight with anyone over this, let the book do
it however it wants - but it _is_ an easier method to start gdm from the
inittab opposed to writing an init script for it, and the objections to
starting it from the inittab no longer seem to be a valid issue (at
least with gdm 2.4.2.95 which is what I am using).

The only possible scenario I can see where respawning would be an issue
is if the user removed one of the shared libraries that gdm needs to
run. I haven't tested that scenario.

I'll let someone else test that one.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org