gdm

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Mon Jun 16 18:48:09 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 13:10, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 07:38, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
>

> > They start the display manager from a _script_ in inittab which checks
> > to make sure the X server isn't in a death spiral.
>
> /usr/bin/gdm (or /opt/gnome2/bin/gdm ...) is a script by default.
> It runs gdm-binary - and is a script for the specific purpose of
> allowing sysadmins to modify it to their needs.
>
> One of the issues I have with making it an init script is that init
> scripts are too easily stopped when using gui config tools. You click
> the wrong button and you lose gdm.

...and yeah, I oopsed before on that email, see other email for a more
accurate description.  However, I feel I'm allowed a little slack since
I've been using gdm and xdm for so long that my fingers probably pay
more attention to setting it up than I do.  I had to go and look at my
own script to remember for sure how it all fits together.  =O

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org