gdm

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Mon Jun 16 18:40:53 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 13:22, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 11:10, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>

> > One of the issues I have with making it an init script is that init
> > scripts are too easily stopped when using gui config tools. You click
> > the wrong button and you lose gdm.
>
> I just sent gdm-binary the TERM signal.
> It (as I suspected) killed my gnome session as well.

Okay, you're really reaching here... Only root can send signals to GDM.
If root should fire off kill signals to things, they are supposed to
fall over.  This isn't likely to change (unless j00 g3t 0wn3d).  GDM
starts X, and is therefore it's parent.  Unless GDM stays it's parent,
it's really not got much of a way to know when it should grab control of
the display again when the user logs out.

> That means if it is an init script and the init script is stopped
> accidentally - you (and anyone logged in through gdm remotely) lose the
> gnome session (or whatever session you are using through gdm)

Hit CTRL-C all you like during bootup.  It's not going to affect gdm in
the least because you're not logged in.  You could, I suppose, kill it
by smacking CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and slaughtering X, but a) DontZap is
easy enough, and b) we're back to the previous issue... don't be shocked
when you kill X and the X apps go down with it.

If your init scripts can be stopped "accidentally" you need to wipe the
filesystem and start over because that's far from the definition of a
secure and reliable console.  (...and if you think you can't secure a
console, think again.)

> That's a pretty good case for doing it through inittab. Changing the
> runlevel is a lot less likely to happen accidentally.

No, it's not.  You've just got some broken assumptions clouding your
vision.

> I guess the book will do what it wants - but I'll look into what needs
> to be done to the gdm script to prevent rapid respawning if X11 is
> borked.

Gdm handles that itself.  The thing you want an init _script_ for  is to
make sure *gdm* can actually be started before you try to execute it,
and if not, to fallback to xdm (which had darn better work or X is
broken and you should punt to runlevel 3).  Gdm uses the XKeepsCrashing
setting to determine what to do if X is geeking, and xdm is much the
same way.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org