gdm

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Jun 16 11:22:30 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 11:10, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> One of the issues I have with making it an init script is that init
> scripts are too easily stopped when using gui config tools. You click
> the wrong button and you lose gdm.

I just sent gdm-binary the TERM signal.
It (as I suspected) killed my gnome session as well.

That means if it is an init script and the init script is stopped
accidentally - you (and anyone logged in through gdm remotely) lose the
gnome session (or whatever session you are using through gdm)

That's a pretty good case for doing it through inittab. Changing the
runlevel is a lot less likely to happen accidentally.

I guess the book will do what it wants - but I'll look into what needs
to be done to the gdm script to prevent rapid respawning if X11 is
borked.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org