gdm

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Jun 16 11:10:47 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 07:38, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

> They start the display manager from a _script_ in inittab which checks
> to make sure the X server isn't in a death spiral.

/usr/bin/gdm (or /opt/gnome2/bin/gdm ...) is a script by default.
It runs gdm-binary - and is a script for the specific purpose of
allowing sysadmins to modify it to their needs.

One of the issues I have with making it an init script is that init
scripts are too easily stopped when using gui config tools. You click
the wrong button and you lose gdm.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org