gdm

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Mon Jun 16 07:38:45 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 03:23, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 07:12, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > Michael A. Peters said the following on 06/15/03 13:11:
> > > One line.
> > > su --command="/sbin/init 3"
> >
> > Yeah, try that in between furiously restarting GDM's because you just
> > broke your X server. I start XDM from /service and put in a delay time
> > on purpose because of this.
>
> I will.
> Not tonight but probably tomorrow.
>
> Is there something specifically you recommend I do to break it? (if not
> - I'll just specify the wrong video driver - that ought to do it)

Just unplug your mouse.  XFree86 becomes very upset over the lack of a
CorePointer.

> I'm curious to see what your talking about - I've had that happen on Red
> Hat and it handled it gracefully - and they start the display manager
> from inittab. (in RH it was because after modifying my XFree86 file - I
> copied the wrong backup - the one I had back with my VooDoo3 which I no
> longer have - to the config file).

They start the display manager from a _script_ in inittab which checks
to make sure the X server isn't in a death spiral.

...and on general principle you might want to get into the habit of
using telinit for changing runlevels instead of executing init
directly.  It's far nicer to the system.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org