gdm

Kelledin kelledin+BLFS at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Sun Jun 15 02:45:40 PDT 2003

On Sunday 15 June 2003 04:16 am, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> In the blfs book - gdm is started with an init script.
> There's actually a better way to do it - right from the
> inittab
>
> Add this to end of the inittab:
>
> # Run xdm in runlevel 5
> x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/gdm

I'm personally against putting services in the inittab simply
"because you can."  I only start services from inittab if I know
beforehand that I want them turned on forever, and I want them
to restart quickly and automatically on the off chance of an
unexpected service shutdown.  Turning off a service at run-time
after it's started from inittab is a bit of a pain.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org