Chapter 3. After LFS ... Issues - Creating a custom bootdisk

Csaba Henk tphhec01 at degas.ceu.hu
Sun Jun 15 01:10:55 PDT 2003

In article <20030614202250.GA12094 at bunky.lawrence>, Larry wrote:

> In this instance, I have not been able to produce a boot disk from our
> current instructions.  The "/dev" directory is too vague and the cop out
> is to install all (which does not fit), and if it really, really needs
> devfs, than we need a 'kernel building section' and outside reading
> material for devfs, because this is the users first exposure to it.
> Then we need to be assertive that having a boot disk is important enough
> to learn these additional areas.

I think devfs is *the* way to go (see my other posts in this thread). For
using it with a floppy, devfsd (the daemon) is *not needed*. There are only
two simple things to do for getting it working: enable support in the kernel
(

File systems  --->
        [*] /dev file system support
        [*]   Automatically mount at boot

) and enable support in Config.h of Busybox (

#define BB_FEATURE_DEVFS

).

* * *

Hey guys, don't you think that there is something wrong with the bootdisk
section of BLFS if such blfs-support related issues tend to come up in
blfs-dev?

Csaba

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org