Chapter 3. After LFS ... Issues - Creating a custom bootdisk

Larry larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 14 13:22:50 PDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 01:39:01PM -0400, Bill's LFS Login wrote:

> Like I said at the start of the thread "... doomed at the outset".
> 'Nuff said.
>
> --
> Bill Maltby
> lfsbill at wlmcs.com

I don't see it that way. I never think in terms of what should be where.
BLFS will always fill in any gaps to producing  a well rounded system,
dependant on the users very own definition of well rounded.  While we
may never get that fulfilled, the least we can do is give the users
things we know will be important to them whether they know it or not.

In this instance, I have not been able to produce a boot disk from our
current instructions.  The "/dev" directory is too vague and the cop out
is to install all (which does not fit), and if it really, really needs
devfs, than we need a 'kernel building section' and outside reading
material for devfs, because this is the users first exposure to it.
Then we need to be assertive that having a boot disk is important enough
to learn these additional areas.

Bill, I haven't had time to read you hint yet, nor do I have time to fix
the current write-up, but it will be addressed.  If there are any more
suggestions, attatch to this thread, then if someone take them and rolls
them in, fine, otherwise, I will get to it as soon as I can.

Larry

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org