Chapter 3. After LFS ... Issues - Creating a custom bootdisk

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Sat Jun 14 09:16:46 PDT 2003

Bill's LFS Login said the following on 06/14/03 01:50:
>>>A couple last notes. It seems to me that it is rediculous for LFS to
>>>help one create a basic platform without some kind of backup/recovery
>>>tool - especially one as basic and critical as a recovery or boot
>>><snip>
>

>>As I see, LFS is just a linux system which is able to boot and bootstrap
>>itself. Neither of these tasks require a bootfloppy. Of course, a bootfloppy
>>is a very basic thing for a system used day-by-day. But there are other such
>>things in the BLFS-book. I think the boofloppy has also a good place in
>>BLFS.
>

> I agree with one exception. It is a platform for continued development,
> installation and education. If you have just spent a substantial time
> installing this very useful tool and then a tragedy happens before you
> are able (or realize you *ought*) to make a recovery floppy (acts of
> God, lightening, coffee in the keyboard - whatever) you may experience
> great angst. Since I try to "walk a mile in their shoes", it occurred to
> me that the "final act" of LFS install should be safeguard against
> tragedy (well, pointing to BLFS would come after, I guess).

The standard reply to this reasoning is:
LFS is not (primarily) intended to be a fully-fledged distro but the
consequence of a learning experience. Therefore it has a minimum of
required packages and installation steps. Allthough there are things in
LFS to make this learning experience a little more comfortable (like the
recent change to inet-utils instead of netkit-base and the minimal
configuration), they are not a priority or a primar motivation.
BLFS fills all the gaps which are left by LFS. It makes your LFS usable
and is more oriented to making it a full replacement of your distro.

Another (less realistic) reason to not include rescue-floppy-capability
to LFS is that we should not assume each target machine has a floppy
drive. So this discussion becomes a little like the discussion to add
network configuration (to enable Internet access) to LFS; you can't
satisfy all users without adding a lot of pages.

--
Groeten/Greetings
Jeroen Coumans

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org