Dependency-based init scripts (was Re: djb utilities)

Jürg Billeter j at bitron.ch
Fri Jun 6 14:11:57 PDT 2003

A bit late for a reply but I haven't been into this until recently. I
crosspost to lfs-dev where it now belongs and to blfs-dev as the thread
started there.

richard at nezumi.plus.com wrote on May 07, 2003...
> On 2003-05-06 19:39:22 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> >
> > Didn't one of the LFS developers write a dependency based system?
> > I think I remember seeing something about it ...
> >
> There is simplinit, in util-linux.
> There is MSB's fixed version of simpl-init:
> http://www.winterdrache.de/linux/newboot/
>
> There is my version, which needs more work:
> http://www.nezumi.plus.com/depinit/
> At present, it is good at handling its own tasks, but poor at taking
> down anything that users started up. My plan to fix this is to have
> and authentication script that determines who is sitting at the
> console, but does not start any processes, and to use the keybaord
> signal to start shells on new consoles. This will allow authentication
> before most of the init scripts have started, but will ensure that
> user's programs are killed before any of the shutdown scripts have
> started.

There are many people who don't like the symlinks to be found in LFS and
most Linux distros. I include myself in this group. There are some
alternatives to sysvinit available as you can see two examples above. IMO
the problem is that the init scripts are not fully compatible (for example
simpleinit utilizes the need command so that the script will break on
sysvinit systems.

As LSB includes a specification for an init info section [1] I thought that
this could be useful to create an own boot-scheme. It is based on sysvinit,
doesn't need anything other than LSB-compatible boot scripts and only
consists of a modified rc-script but it doesn't need any symlink and it even
supports parallel execution to speed up the boot process a little bit.

I'm not yet that satisfied with my rc-script, it looks still a bit hacky.
However I currently use it on my main system and it didn't break that much
;) You can download the rc-script together with my other init scripts [2] if
you want to have a look at it. It won't work out of the box with an LFS
installation as I for example use devfs, other network scripts and there are
some BLFS things in. But it sure won't be that difficult to create a
compliant LFS version.

It would be nice if I could get some feedback, also opinions on
dependency-based sysvinit in general are welcome. Perhaps you even have some
suggestions to clean up or improve my not so nice code.

Regards,

Jürg
j at bitron.ch

[1]