Idea for enhancing BLFS

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 4 18:55:27 PDT 2003

conathan at conet.dyndns.org wrote:

>In my scripts, I just used /etc/skel, [whatever is in /etc/skel will apper
>in a user's home directory with -m (or some other letter of the
>alphabet)].  Sortof nicer to work with for me.  (The user I personally use
>is not usually created at this point).

As you specify, this is only true if the user is created after the
installation of the packages (which is not *mostly* true). IMO, it is
best left to the user to decide how to deal with it.

Also, not may packages require a user side installation (I think Mplayer
is the only one). All other packages complete the user side portion the
first time the user executes the application (e.g. mozilla, openoffice).

The way I handle these kind of applications is to move the original
executable to a different name and then create a wrapper script with the
original name. The wrapper script checks whether the user side
installation has been completed and if not, it completes it and then
runs the original executable.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/