Sodipodi 0.29

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Wed Jan 29 20:54:46 PST 2003

Okay, this may or may not be a bug in Sodipodi (I still need to rummage
through Bugzilla, which is messy for this project) but I figure I should
mention it because it's likely to trip someone up...

The new 0.29 version of the package doesn't seem to be looking in the
right places for some files relating to Xft... during the configure
phase it fails to detect Xft properly (which tanks the make later) with
the following as an excerpt from the related section of the config.log:

configure:7332: checking X11/Xft/Xft.h usability
configure:7341: gcc -c -O2 -march=i586 -mcpu=i686 -w conftest.c >&5
In file included from configure:7369:
/usr/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:35:31: freetype/freetype.h: No such file or
directory
/usr/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:36:35: fontconfig/fontconfig.h: No such file
or directory
In file included from /usr/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:43,
                 from configure:7369:
/usr/include/X11/Xft/XftCompat.h:33: parse error before "XftChar8"
/usr/include/X11/Xft/XftCompat.h:34: parse error before "XftChar16"
/usr/include/X11/Xft/XftCompat.h:35: parse error before "XftChar32"
/usr/include/X11/Xft/XftCompat.h:89: parse error before "XftType"
/usr/include/X11/Xft/XftCompat.h:91: parse error before "XftMatrix"
/usr/include/X11/Xft/XftCompat.h:95: parse error before "XftResult"
/usr/include/X11/Xft/XftCompat.h:102: parse error before "XftValue"
(more of the obvious snipped)

I think I'm going to go ahead and report this as a bug in Bugzilla
because the fontconfig includes directory should be under /usr/X11R6 if
one follows Keith Packard's (the author of that chunk) instructions, as
well as when fontconfig is built as a part of XFree86, and the config
script is definitely not searching it.  (Note: I definitely have the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable pointing at /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig, but
pkg-config isn't being invoked apparently)

The freetype header probably could work, except for the fact that for
Freetype2's headers to be found under /usr/X11R6/include/freetype and
not /usr/X11R6/include/freetype2/freetype breaks parallel builds with
Freetype-1.3.1 present.  Afaik these are supposed to be able to live
together happily, although I removed the older version of Freetype from
my system about a month ago.

Does anyone know of any extra symlinks that some distros might be adding
into their builds that would sidestep this issue, or are folks in
general agreement that this is as broken as it looks?

(This package, for it's low version number status, is actually shaping
up to be a decent vector-based drawing application, so I've been keeping
an eye on it.)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org