Please revert the freetype zlib stuff

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon Jan 27 21:06:29 PST 2003

Greg Schafer wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 05:51:14PM -0500, Billy O'Connor wrote:
>

>>gschafer at zip.com.au (Greg Schafer) writes:
>>

>>>as it is causing pain and grief for users everywhere. Failure reports
>>>continue to pop up all over the place. I believe it is irresponsible to
>>>leave those blatantly broken instructions on the web.
>>>

>>When did these thoroughly tested instructions become blatantly broken?
>>

>Ok, poor choice of words on my part, it was late, I was angry, I had just
>found a huge bug in CVS LFS... etc, etc, etc   :-)
>
>There is nothing wrong with the instructions themselves, but they lead to a
>somewhat broken build system as evidenced by the myriad problem reports.
>
>I believe BLFS is doing a dis-service to the public by leaving those
>instructions on the web.
>
>Apologies re the original poor choice of words.

Ok.  I'll fix it.  But which way?

1.  Use the CVS version of freetype.
2.  Put a warning in freetype about the problem.  (I'll do this tonight,
but can change it tomorrow, if necessary.)
3.  Put a warning/fix in XFree86 about the problem. (There are other
packages that have the problem.)
4.  Use the internal version of freetype for XFree86.

BTW, the problem is in the FAQ.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org