XFree build error handling

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Jan 25 01:48:06 PST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Seth W.Klein wrote:
>
> >A couple things for when the new xfree instructions go in:
> >
> >Current instructions allow the build to continue past errors and
> >log the build but don't search for errors. Errors can be found by
> >looking for "***".
> >
> You are right.  I believe it was there at one time.  Perhaps I am just
> not remembering correctly.  Actually its a bit tricky searching for '***'.
>
> >A method probably better than logging is to make the build halt on
> >errors by using ``make WORLDOPTS="" World''.
> >

> Perhaps.  I'd like to get other opinions.

 I'm still playing with 4.2.99.4 to determine which optimisation works
best on my k6-2/450.  I'm seeing a lot of failures with -march=k6 or
k6-2 (-O3 imarch=i586 is ok).  If I don't pass WORLDOPTS="" the build
stops during make install (an assembly error), a bit over 3 hous after
it starts.  If I do pass this, it stops at the same place in make World,
which only takes about an hour and a half.  Seems worthwhile to me.

Ken

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org