CFLAGS in tiff-v3.5.7

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Jan 19 09:12:07 PST 2003

Hi,

 I'm hesitant to say this is a bug in the book, because my past bug
reports on lfs-dev have mostly turned out to be bogus :-( Unfortunately,
I don't have the exact error messages recorded.

 ./configure --with-GCOPTS="$CFLAGS"   fails when $CFLAGS is '-Os -s'.

This happens whether I use single or double quotes. What seems to be
happening is that configure strips out the quotes.

 Google found an old hint of Bruce's with

make COPTS='' OPTIMIZER="$CFLAGS"

but this doesn't work for me (recent LFS-CVS), `make' objects to invalid
option O, invalid option P, invalid option T.

 What works for me is to do it "lfs-style", i.e.

COPTS='' OPTIMIZER="$CFLAGS" ./configure --prefix=/usr \
 --noninteractive --with-DIR_MAN=/usr/share/man

 I'm guessing my problem will affect anybody using multiple options in
their CFLAGS. Anybody else seen this, and if so does my solution work
for you ?

Ken

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org