Moving to new format?

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 18 21:55:01 PST 2003

Larry Lawrence wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:02:59 +0000, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>

>>That's the point of the re-org, not to provide cut-paste style commands
>>but provide more information in what is happening and to provide
>>options. The way it currently is it more resembles a build script not a
>>book. Compare an hint with its corresponding blfs-book page, the hint is
>>always easier to understand and the user can customize the building of
>>the package to his/her requirement. The reorg actually makes more sense
>>for the blfs-book then the lfs-book. Most of the lfs packages don't have
>>a wide variety of options that blfs packages have.
>>

>I would suggest taking little steps towards expanding the installation
>instructions.  For example, I would still stick with one build path. A

Yep, the default as with most instructions is to install the entire
package with most sensible options turned on.

>I don't have a problem
>breaking up the cut and paste, but if the series needs no explanation, the
>technique should be used.

Yep, that's how the lfs-book does it.

>I can see the benefit of incorporating the
>explanations into the instructions and we can do that gradually if we
>decide to do it.

Agree. By keeping a format similar to the current one, the changes can
be done gradually as and when the packages are updated in the book and
when the respective editors have time.

>I just don't see making big changes until Mark fills us in on his vision.

/me eagerly looks forward to hearing his (and others) views.
/me awaiting my first "cvs ci" :-)

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/