Moving to new format?

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 18 19:51:58 PST 2003

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:02:59 +0000, Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> That's the point of the re-org, not to provide cut-paste style commands
> but provide more information in what is happening and to provide
> options. The way it currently is it more resembles a build script not a
> book. Compare an hint with its corresponding blfs-book page, the hint is
> always easier to understand and the user can customize the building of
> the package to his/her requirement. The reorg actually makes more sense
> for the blfs-book then the lfs-book. Most of the lfs packages don't have
> a wide variety of options that blfs packages have.

I would suggest taking little steps towards expanding the installation
instructions.  For example, I would still stick with one build path. A
default that we can verify against all other defaults and the fall back
path when the user is getting too creative.  I don't have a problem
breaking up the cut and paste, but if the series needs no explanation, the
technique should be used.  I can see the benefit of incorporating the
explanations into the instructions and we can do that gradually if we
decide to do it.

This postpones multiple build path instructions to latter editions and we
can determine a consistent format. Suggesting alternate paths is
appropriate if the author is willing to assist in support for the
alternatives or feels the community is able to support it.

I just don't see making big changes until Mark fills us in on his vision.

Larry

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org