Moving to new format?

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sat Jan 18 13:40:43 PST 2003

Billy O'Connor wrote:

>tushar at linuxfromscratch.org (Tushar Teredesai) writes:
>

>>Hi:
>>
>>Will the BLFS book be moving to the newer format that the LFS book
>>currently has before the first release?
>>
>>If not, I will start updating the OO, moz and j2sdk sections in the
>>current format, if a move is planned soon I will wait or edit with the
>>newer format.
>>

>I don't feel this would be a good format for BLFS.  BLFS installs
>packages that are quite a bit more complicated than the ones in the
>LFS book.  Some of the more complicated packages would have build
>commands farther apart than I'd like to see them.

I agree.  BLFS should keep the format it is using.  Man y of the
libraries are a simple configure && make && make install, but there are
other packages that are quite complicated.  I feel the BLFS is part
learning, part HOWTO, and part reference.  LFS is going to primarily
learning and I think that is very appropriate.  When you graduate to
BLFS, the explainations should be less detailed at the basic level and
concentrate on more advanced issues.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org