Emacs 21.2 extremely slow start

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sat Jan 18 09:32:49 PST 2003

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Dag Gruneau wrote:

> Billy O'Connor wrote:
>

> > Try emacs -q on both systems and see if there's a difference.
> >

> Good thought, but the same remains:
>
> root:/usr/src/lfs-extra/emacs-21.2# time emacs -q --kill
>
> real    0m5.119s
> user    0m0.070s
> sys     0m0.040s

I just thought, what is the difference in system configurations? IIRC,
emacs is ummm.... "resource intensive". Is memory sufficient? Do you
have sufficient swap allocated *and* activated (swapon -s). Those are
the only two things that jump to my mind. What does free or top show
before and during start up of emacs?

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com