Truetype directory

Dagmar d'Surreal no.spam at allowed.here
Wed Jan 8 21:01:27 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 19:37, Larry wrote:
> For some reason, this is really bothering me.  On my xfree-4.2.99.3
> install, the directory installed for truetype was:
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF
>
> The XF86Config.new created by xfree86 -configure sets the font path to:
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType

I think this is somewhat of a "suggestion" on their part, actually.
Even in 4.2.0 it was like this, and queerly enough, the TTF/ directory
appears to be hard-coded as one that is *always* searched, no matter
what.  Note that even without it in any of your configuration paths you
_still_ get the new B&H Luxi fonts in your list of available fonts.

Yes, it's freakish and strange but at least it works without a big fight
or worry about having ttfmkdir/mkfontscale handy.

> Then in the xpdf instructions for .xpdfrc, we set the font directory to:
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype
>
> xlsfonts does not list any fonts from the TTF directory, but
> sed /TrueType/TTF in configure produces an error. - Could not init font
> path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF, removing from list!
>
> I do not pretend to have studied the new font system, but it appears
> that truetype fonts will be going to /TrueType and I need to adjust
> xpdf. Can anyone enlighten me on this or point the way to the
> documentation that explains this.

I never found any satisfactory documentation on this either and can only
assume they went the way they did with the current configuration because
of the distressing tendency of some TrueType fonts to break the holy
wonderfarb (very technical term there, look out ) out of everything and
render everything pretty much unreadable/unrenderable.  Heck, for awhile
there just having MS's webdings.ttf installed in the font path was a
great way to have the incredible bouncing GDM punt you back to runlevel
3.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it explicitly in the hint I wrote or not (I
think I decided that was beyond the scope), but I've been recommending
that people just _don't touch_ the TTF/ directory and stick all the
TrueType fonts that they install into TrueType/ because then it becomes
rather difficult to break the Luxi fonts.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org