New a2ps section

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Thu Jan 2 08:11:48 PST 2003

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>>
>>> cd contrib
>>> cp Makefile.in Makefile.in.orig
>>> sed -e "s:emacs::" Makefile.in.orig > Makefile.in
>>> cd ..
>>

>> That will work.  The above needs to be done after ./configure and
>> before make install.  However, I still think its easier to do:
>

> Before configure since the above fixes Makefile.in. Also, it should be
> applied if the user doesn't have emacs installed.

Right you are!

>> rm /*.el
>> after make install.
>

> The problem with this approach is that the user can (though it is
> unlikely) have a file ending with .el in /.

The FHS says that / should only have directories.  If the user has .el
files there, he will know about it and not execute the rm command or not
care if they are deleted.  Not changing the Makefile.in allows the user
to reconfigure after and reinstall into the proper directory if emacs is
added later and requires no change if emacs is already installed.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org