Time to go to LFS CVS ??

James Robertson jameswrobertson at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 1 13:14:21 PST 2003

Mark Hymers wrote:
> On Wed, 01, Jan, 2003 at 12:12:45PM -0600, Tushar Teredesai spoke thus..
>> No need to make intermediate releases, just make releases
>> simaltaneously. Except for the initial simaltaneous announcement (which
>> I think should be 5.0), LFS should be the driving force for changing
>> version numbers.
>
> The one problem with that: Bug Fixes.
>
> Also, there may be occassions where we have a major update we know to be
> stable we'd like to put out between LFS releases.
>
> Although I quite like being tied to producing BLFS in time for the
> relevant LFS versions, I also want the flexibility to be able to produce
> intermediate versions.

If this is the case, then matching version numbers to LFS is going to be
real difficult.  Since we'll know in advance when LFS is about to come out
with a new version, why don't we write a quick "What version of LFS does
this version of BLFS work on" kind of page.  I think we are working off of
LFS 4.0 right now (at least I am).  LFS CVS is good for testing and getting
ready for the next release of BLFS and helps us to realease at or near the
same time as LFS does with a new version.  Also, since LFS's packages are
smaller in number that BLFS's it is easier for them to put out versions
faster.  BLFS has to potentially wait for new versions to come out that we
want to include.  Especially the whole XFree 4.3 deal.  This is a good
example.

So in summary,

* We get ready for a rc late January after XF4.3 and KDE3.1.

* Coordinate with LFS team to hold off on v4.1 of LFS so we can finish up
BLFS stuff without killing ourselves testing and running at full steam,
which will produce bugs.

* Put BLFS 1.0 out at same time as LFS 4.1 with a page that says that 1.0
is tested and known to work with LFS 4.0 and 4.1

James Robertson | jameswrobertson at earthlink.net
Reg. LFS User:   #6981    http://www.linuxfromscatch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org