BLFS use of /opt

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 1 11:05:27 PST 2003

On Tue, 31, Dec, 2002 at 04:39:35PM -0600, Dagmar d'Surreal spoke thus..
> On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 16:17, Mark Hymers wrote:
> > I think our use of /opt is now *reasonably* consistent (with the
> > possible exception we could possibly move to /opt/gnome-1 and
> > /opt/gnome-2 instead of gnome{1,2}).
> >
> > If anybody can see any orhter exceptions please let the list know.
>
> I know this is probably spitting into the wind, but there seems to
> really be no need to separate these at all.  Unless you deliberately
> want to have user accounts that can choose the older Gnome 1.4.x tree
> _alone_ as their desktop (which is bad for many, many reasons) these two
> code trees play well together.  The neophiliacs on the list can easily
> confirm for you that even Evolution 1.2.1's use of some of the Gnome
> 1.5.x (older devel stuff) libraries doesn't break a thing.

Personally I see it as being clean - I'm not about to reopen the debate.
It also means that once(if) all of your apps are gnome-2 based and you
have no need to gnome-1 libraries etc, you can rm -fr /opt/gnome-1 (and
remove it from ld.so.conf etc.) and its gone.

Anyway, that's my decision (sorry to be blunt but otherwise the
discussion will ramble on for ages again).

Mark

"I've had people claim that they actually make the sun rise rise every
 morning.  I've offered to test them by shooting them.  So far all these
 people have not responded to my endevours."
     James Randi on BBCi Live Chat
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org