Time to go to LFS CVS ??

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 1 05:46:43 PST 2003

On December 31, 2002 08:56 pm, James Robertson wrote:
> If we want to do this - which I agree with - then we would have to
> coordinate with Gerard and the LFS team.  I don't think they would mind and
> probably would like the idea.  This issue is testing the proposed build.  I
> don't know how long we would be given to test a v4.1 LFS against our stuff
> and make patches and the like.

I took it'd be a great idea. If the BLFS book should have the same version
number at all times I'm not sure. It might work, but BLFS-5.0 would mean a
significal change even though there might only be minor changes since the
last version (pretending there was a BLFS-4.0).

But on the other hand, if the versions are the same, the BLFS book gets more
of an extension of the LFS book feel. Same version, same release dates, etc.

Concretely, can you guys have BLFS-5.0 ready (or BLFS-4.1, not sure what I'll
name the LFS book, probably has to be 5.0 because it's a major Glibc change
although we just had a major version increase one version ago...at least
we'll be catching up to Redhat, Mandrake et all a bit sooner this way) by the
end of January? That's when I'm aiming for the next LFS book to be finished
(maybe first week of February).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org