depends/utilize updates for Gnome-Section (BLFS20020930)

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 30 07:19:44 PDT 2002

Tobias Stöckmann wrote:

> NOTE:
> Some of my added packages will be already installed before the package
> will be compiled. I have added them because most of the BLFS-Documents
> have added such packages, too.
> ________________________________________________________________ Keine
> verlorenen Lotto-Quittungen, keine vergessenen Gewinne mehr! Beim WEB.DE
> Lottoservice: http://tippen2.web.de/?x=13

Time to discuss these issues.

1.  Several packages will create "bindings" for python if the configure see
python.  I don't see this as utilizing python, so its been left out.  I had
considered requesting another category like "libxml2 makes bindings for:"
but had decided against it.

2. I found it more confusing to relist dependancies, so there is an
assumption that if you installed ORBit, than GLib is satisfied.  The
attempt was that if your package needed "libgnomeui" for example, you could
trace back and collect all the dependencies.

3.  Most of the "will utilize" came from observation of the configure
process, I did not test for actual usage.  So for packages like linc, my
tendency would be to remove openssl when testing showed it was not
utilized.

Please feel free to comment on any or all of the above and Mark can decide
the policy.

Thanks,

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org