bootscripts

dagmar at speakeasy.net dagmar at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 28 17:12:11 PDT 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Henning Rohde wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Larry Lawrence wrote:
>
> > We, the editors, were suppose to issue numbers for start and kill links.
> > I just wanted everyone to know that I will review these ASAP and make the
> > appropriate changes based on an old discussion where we set the
> > guidelines.
> >
> > Sorry for the extra work caused by missing this.
>
> please reserve some number for firewalling,
>
> I had been believing that it is not necessery to privide information about
> how to create apprpriate symlinks.
> Especially if we take into account that our reader has actually passed the
> "exam" of making his own LFS.
>
> But in privcate discussion I was convinced that it would be helpful to
> provide a suggestion about the _number_ of the symlinks: immedately after
> the creation / before the deletion of the [last/first] network interface.
>
> So, please reserve some number for ,
>
> thanks,

Yeah, I was actually about to write a quick mail about this very thing.
Absolutely NO distribution seems to be getting that bit correct, with the
exceptions being a small number of specifically security-oriented distros.
Firewall rules need to be able to put into place _before_ any network
initialization happens per RFC (I have no idea which one at the moment,
but I went to Bugtraq over this with Slackware a few years ago, with the
result being that I owe Volkerding a kick in the pants for being such a
knothead about it).

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org