inetd or xinetd

Richard A Downing richard.downing at bcs.org.uk
Fri Sep 27 11:56:20 PDT 2002

Billy O'Connor wrote:

> Richard A Downing <richard.downing at bcs.org.uk> writes:
>
>> The BLFS cvs is ambiguous ( as at 20020925 ) with several packages (e.g.
>> Qpopper) giving inetd installations, yet only xinetd being installed.
>> I suggest this is fixed or maybe a note added somewhere on how to
>> translate inetd configs to xinetd.
>> Richard.
>

> I don't know what you mean by "only xinetd being installed", inetd is
> installed with LFS.  I am, however, reviewing all services to insure
> that they have configuration instructions for both inetd and xinetd.

Woops!!
You're right it does seem to be 'installed' as part of netkit-base, I never
noticed  (LFS 204)!  But it isn't, I think,  configured or started by the
bootscripts.
Now I have to decide which to use...   That's LFS for you :-))

A short note on using 'itox'  (an RTFM perhaps, self included) might help.
I realise it's in the contents list for xinetd, but then I didn't read the
list for netkit-base did I?

'umbly,

Richard.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org