ln -sf

Timothy Bauscher timothy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 26 11:06:52 PDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 10:30:43AM -0500, Larry Lawrence wrote:
> > ln -sf ../init.d/gpm ../rc3.d/S70gpm &&
> > It seems to me that using -f in this sort of situation
> > is more harmful than helpful.

> Re-install -
> ln -sf would force update the links.
> On cut & paste, the "script" will fail without the 'f'.

Why would anyone need to recreate the symlinks? Even if the
init.d/gpm script were changed, recreating the symlinks is
pointless. Thus, there's no reason to force symlink creation
in this case.

> What harmful effects are concerning you.

By using -f, symlinks created by the user might be overwritten
I consider that to be a "harmful effect". Since -f isn't needed
in this case, it's an unnecessary risk IMHO.

--
timothy(at)linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org