ln -sf

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 26 08:30:43 PDT 2002

Timothy Bauscher wrote:

> ln -sf ../init.d/gpm ../rc3.d/S70gpm &&
>
> It seems to me that using -f in this sort of situation
> is more harmful than helpful.

I'm trying to think through this so bear with me:

Every installation is assumed to be on top of a fresh LFS Build plus
required packages.  gpm has no requirements, so we start with a fresh
build.

(please watch for me being wrong!)
ln -sf would  ignore the f as there can't be a previous symlink.

Re-install -
ln -sf would force update the links.
On cut & paste, the "script" will fail without the 'f'.

It looks like it's there to assist updating.

What harmful effects are concerning you.

Larry

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org